Skip County Header
Alameda County, CA,
Banner for Alameda County Environmental Health shows picture of department building.
Food Safety Program

> Overview
> Restaurant Grading System
>Placard Grading Policy and Procedures
> Restaurant Inspection Results
>California Retail Food Code (Cal Code)
>Sherman Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Laws
>California Food Handler Card Law
> Plan Check Documents
> Temporary Events
> Mobile Food Facilities
>Mobile Food Placarding Information
Related Links
> CCDEH Food Documents
> Health Safety Notices
> Safe Food Handling
> Cross-Contamination Issues
> Proper Hand Washing
> Cooking Temperatures
> Handling Take-Out/Leftovers
> Berkeley Food Facility Program
Mobile Food Facilities

Mobile Food Facility Inspection Results is now online.


The Mobile Food Program within Alameda County consists of over eight hundred Mobile Food Facilities including carts, trucks and vehicles of various types.

The main goal of the program is to ensure that food served on mobile food facilities is safe for the public. This goal is achieved by providing food safety education to food service operators and enforcement of the laws listed within The California Health and Safety Code during inspections.

Mobile food facilities must apply for a permit (see application below), pass inspection and contract with an approved Commissary and/or Commercial Kitchen prior to operating in Alameda County. For a list of approved Commissaries/Commercial Kitchens in Alameda County, see below. Permits are valid for 12 months and are renewed on an annual basis.

Environmental Health is now posting color-coded Placards on mobile food trucks operating in Alameda County. Each truck will be given the chance to earn a Green (Pass), Yellow (Conditional Pass) or Red (Closed) Placard based on an operational inspection. To learn more about the Placarding Program for food trucks, Click Here.

Application and Handouts for Mobile Food Facilities (Trucks, Trailers, and Carts) & Caterers

Fee Exemption Forms for School Fundraisers, Non-profit Charities, & Sole Proprietor Veterans

Food Safety Requirements (for all food operators, owners and employees)

  • California Food Handler Certificate Program (Food Handler Card): Click for Online Providers

    Please Note: All employees that handle food must have a food handler card, except for the Person In Charge (PIC) of Food Safety Management (see below). The training to receive a food handler card can be taken online, and is good for three (3) years. Once completed, the employee should print their certification card. Every food-handling employee needs to have a food handler card, but only one person needs to have their Food Safety Manager Certification (see next bullet item).
  • Food Safety Certification for Managers: Click for Providers in the Bay Area

    Please Note: California State Law requires that at least one person operating a food business has a Food Safety Manager's Certification (Cal. Retail Food Code, �113947.1) and has trained their employees to follow the correct food safety practices. This person should either be on the premises of a food business during operation, or designate a different person in charge of food safety in their absence. The Food Safety Manager's Certification is good for five (5) years, and is offered in many different languages.


  • Alameda County now Posting Placards on Food Trucks (4/21/14)
    Visit our Mobile Food Placarding page to learn more about the new Placarding Program for Food Trucks.
  • Alameda County's Food Truck Placarding System featured on 7-On-Your-Side, on ABC 7 News (12/27/13)
    Watch the news clip from ABC 7 news to learn more about the upcoming Placarding Program and the need for improving the safety of food sold off of food trucks operating in Alameda County. Click to view the news clip.
  • Mobile Food Vending FREE Info-Sessions held every Monday at 10AM, starting Oct. 7th (10/1/13)
    Looking for information on how to permit your Mobile Food Business with Alameda County Environmental Health? Starting on Oct. 7, 2013, we will be holding a free info-session at our office, every Monday (excluding County holidays) for those who have questions on where to begin. Info-sessions will begin at 10:00 AM to 11:00 AM in room 106. Check in between 9:30-10AM at the 1st Floor Reception Desk at 1131 Harbor Bay Parkway, Alameda - Directions.

Mobile Food Facilities Contact Information

Alameda County Department of Environmental Health
1131 Harbor Bay Parkway, Alameda, CA, 94502-6577

To schedule an Appointment for a Renewal Inspection, please call the Appointment Hotline at 510-567-6810, two months before your permit expires. Please allow up to 48 hours for a response.

For questions, please refer first to the FAQ page for both Mobile Food Facilites and/or Temporary Events.

* Portable Document Format (PDF) file requires the free Adobe Reader.

** Microsoft Word (DOCX) file requires the free Microsoft Word Viewer.

Online Services
> Restaurant Inspection Results (map version)
> Restaurant and Mobile Food Facility Inspection Results (non map version and mobile device enabled)
> Submit a Foodborne Illness Complaint

*Requires the free Adobe Reader.
> Temporary Event Booth
Pre-inspection/Self Inspection Form
(PDF - 95kb)*
> Temporary Food Facility Permit or Catered Event Permit Application (PDF - 1mb)*
> Temporary Events Sponsor Application (PDF - 478kb)*
> Food Safety Certification Schedule and Registration: classes taught in English (PDF - 164kb)*
> Food Safety Certification Schedule and Registration: classes taught in Spanish (PDF - 308kb)*

Alameda County sealAlameda County © 2019 • All Rights Reserved • Legal / DisclaimersAccessibility