Proposed Policies, Plans and Ordinances
Community Climate Action Plan
Community Climate Action Plan to be considered by Board of Supervisors for General Plan Amendment on February 4, 2014
Since August 2009, County staff and consultants have been working to draft a community Climate Action Plan (CAP) for the unincorporated areas of Alameda County. These communities include Ashland, Castro Valley, Cherryland, Fairview, Hayward Acres, San Lorenzo, Sunol, and Rural East County.
The Final Draft CCAP contains objectives, measures and actions to reduce greenhouse gas emissions from activities within the community such as:
- Transportation choices (e.g. improving bicycle infrastructure and bus links)
- Planning choices (e.g. encouraging higher density development near transit hubs and mixed use development)
- Water conservation (e.g. efficient appliances and use of rainwater)
- Waste diversion (e.g. improving recycling and composting services)
- Building and public realm energy use (e.g. energy efficiency retrofits)
- Green infrastructure (e.g. expanding the urban forest)
Many of these measures may have additional positive benefits for the local community such as improved air quality, reduced energy bills and traffic congestion, as well as global environmental benefits.
In June 2011, after numerous public hearings and workshops, the Board of Supervisors approved a Final Draft Climate Action Plan, the goal of which is to reduce Countywide greenhouse gas emissions by 15% by the year 2020. The next step in the full approval process is to conduct an environmental review of the Draft Final plan pursuant to the California Environmental Quality Act (CEQA) to determine whether the Plan as written would result in any significant impacts to the environment, and if so, how those impacts may be mitigated.
The Alameda County Board of Supervisors will hold a public hearing on February 4, 2014 at 1 p.m. to consider the adoption of the Alameda County Community Climate Action Plan as an element of the Alameda County General Plan. The addition of the Community Climate Action Plan to the County General Plan as a new Element is intended to comply with Assembly Bill (AB) 32, the California Global Warming Solutions Act of 2006, to reduce emissions of greenhouse gases by 80% by the year 2050.
The proposed action constitutes an amendment to the General Plan, and includes approval of an Initial Study and adoption of a Negative Declaration pursuant to the California Environmental Quality Act. A Negative Declaration is a document prepared by the Lead Agency and circulated for public review, which states that the proposed action, if approved, would have no significant effect on the environment and that no mitigation measures or policy alterations would be required to protect environmental quality.
After the environmental analysis is conducted, reviewed and approved by the Board of Supervisors, the Climate Action Plan would become effective and would then be incorporated into the County General Plan.
- Notice of Public Hearing at Board of Supervisors (PDF - 96.2kb) *
- Draft Board Resolution - General Plan Amendment (PDF - 146kb) *
- Draft Board Resolution - Initial Study and Negative Declaration (PDF - 199kb) *
- Board Letter (PDF - 201kb) *
- Final Draft Climate Action Plan (PDF - 16.4mb) *
- Notice of Intent to Adopt a Negative Declaration (PDF - 90kb) *
- Initial Study for Negative Declaration (PDF - 1mb) *
Climate Action Plan (CAP) - Public Meetings
A public hearing before the Alameda County Planning Commission will be held on Monday, the 15th day of July, 2013, beginning at 3:00 p.m., in Room 160, the Auditorium of the Alameda County Building, 224 West Winton Avenue, Hayward, California. All persons interested in the matter may appear and be heard at this meeting. A recommendation by the Planning Commission to the Board of Supervisors may be made on that date.
Notices for this Public Hearing for the Environmental Analysis for the CCAP will be published here and in local newspapers, and will also be mailed to known interested parties and organizations. Further hearings before the Board of Supervisors are expected in the latter part of 2013.
Review Public Comments, Staff Reports, Minutes, and Presentation Material from our past meetings
- Board Letter 2011 May 17 2011 (1Mb)*
- PC Staff Analysis 11-15-2010 (62Kb)*
- PC Minutes 11-15-10 (121Kb)*
- Board PowerPoint (12/21/2010) (1.8Mb)*
- Board Resolution (12/21/2010) (63Kb)*
- Board Letter (12/21/2010) (596Kb)*
- Draft PC CAP Resolution (11/15/2010) (48Kb)*
- PC Staff Analysis (11/15/2010) (367Kb)*
- CVMAC Resolution (10/25/2010) (87Kb)*
- CVMAC Staff Analysis (10/25/2010) (115Kb)*
- Roundtable PowerPoint Presentation 9/29/2010 (1.8Mb)*
- Roundtable PowerPoint Presentation 6/30/2010 (2.7Mb)*
- Roundtable Meeting Agenda 6/30/2010 (246Kb)*
- SCAC Staff Report 4/21/2010 (178Kb)*
- BOS Retreat Summary 4/20/2010 (143Kb)*
- PC Staff Report 4/19/2010 (186Kb)*
- PC Minutes 4/19/2010 (182Kb)*
- CVMAC Staff Report 4/12/2010 (185Kb)*
- CVMAC Minutes 4/12/2010 (185Kb)*
- Ag Committee Staff Report 3/23/2010 (59Kb)*
- BOS Staff Summary 3/11/2010 (291Kb)*
- Presentation Slides - East and West County Public Forums December 1st and 2nd, 2009 (4.3Mb)*
- East County - Public Forum Meeting Minutes (December 1st 2009 (119Kb)*)
- West County - Public Forum Meeting Minutes (December 2nd, 2009) (118KMb)*
- Presentation Slides-East and West County Public Forums; September 15 and 16, 2009 (7Mb)*
- East County- Public Forum Meeting Minutes (200Kb)*
- West County- Public Forum Meeting Minutes (259Kb)*
- CCAP Summary of Public Comments (254Kb)*
Past Events and Notes:
Alameda County Planning Department
224 West Winton Avenue
Room 111 Hayward, CA 94544
* Portable Document Format (PDF) file requires the free Adobe Reader.