Proposed Policies, Plans and Ordinances
Community Climate Action Plan
Draft Climate Action Plan approved by Board of Supervisors for Environmental Review (June 2011)
Since August 2009, County staff and consultants have been working to draft a community Climate Action Plan (CAP) for the unincorporated areas of Alameda County. These communities include Ashland, Castro Valley, Cherryland, Fairview, Hayward Acres, San Lorenzo, Sunol, and Rural East County.
In June 2011, after numerous public hearings and workshops, the Board of Supervisors approved a Final Draft Community Climate Action Plan, the goal of which is to reduce Countywide greenhouse gas emissions by 15% by the year 2020. The Final Draft CCAP contains objectives, measures and actions to reduce greenhouse gas emissions from activities within the community such as:
- Transportation choices (e.g. improving bicycle infrastructure and bus links)
- Water conservation (e.g. efficient appliances and use of rainwater)
- Waste diversion (e.g. improving recycling and composting services)
- Building and public realm energy use (e.g. energy efficiency retrofits)
- Green infrastructure (e.g. expanding the urban forest)
Many of these measures may have positive benefits for the local community such as improved air quality, reduced energy bills and traffic congestion, as well as global environmental benefits.
Environmental Review under CEQA
The next step in the full approval process is to conduct an environmental review of the Draft Final Plan pursuant to the California Environmental Quality Act (CEQA) to determine whether the Plan as written would result in any significant impacts to the environment, and if so, how those impacts may be mitigated.
County Planning Staff will conduct this CEQA analysis beginning in the Fall of 2011; the availability of the CEQA Analysis, requests for public comments and a schedule for public hearings on the analysis will be posted here when the draft analysis becomes available.
After the environmental analysis is conducted, reviewed and approved by the Board of Supervisors, the Climate Action Plan would become effective and would then be incorporated into the County General Plan.
Climate Action Plan (CAP) - Public Meetings
Public hearings for the Environmental Analysis for the CCAP will be published here and in local newspapers, and will also be mailed to known interested parties and organizations. These hearings are expected in October - December 2011.
Review Public Comments, Staff Reports, Minutes, and Presentation Material from our past meetings
- Board Letter 2011 May 17 2011 (1Mb)*
- PC Staff Analysis 11-15-2010 (62Kb)*
- PC Minutes 11-15-10 (121Kb)*
- Board PowerPoint (12/21/2010) (1.8Mb)*
- Board Resolution (12/21/2010) (63Kb)*
- Board Letter (12/21/2010) (596Kb)*
- Draft PC CAP Resolution (11/15/2010) (48Kb)*
- PC Staff Analysis (11/15/2010) (367Kb)*
- CVMAC Resolution (10/25/2010) (87Kb)*
- CVMAC Staff Analysis (10/25/2010) (115Kb)*
- Roundtable PowerPoint Presentation 9/29/2010 (1.8Mb)*
- Roundtable PowerPoint Presentation 6/30/2010 (2.7Mb)*
- Roundtable Meeting Agenda 6/30/2010 (246Kb)*
- SCAC Staff Report 4/21/2010 (178Kb)*
- BOS Retreat Summary 4/20/2010 (143Kb)*
- PC Staff Report 4/19/2010 (186Kb)*
- PC Minutes 4/19/2010 (182Kb)*
- CVMAC Staff Report 4/12/2010 (185Kb)*
- CVMAC Minutes 4/12/2010 (185Kb)*
- Ag Committee Staff Report 3/23/2010 (59Kb)*
- BOS Staff Summary 3/11/2010 (291Kb)*
- Presentation Slides - East and West County Public Forums December 1st and 2nd, 2009 (4.3Mb)*
- East County - Public Forum Meeting Minutes (December 1st 2009 (119Kb)*)
- West County - Public Forum Meeting Minutes (December 2nd, 2009) (118KMb)*
- Presentation Slides-East and West County Public Forums; September 15 and 16, 2009 (7Mb)*
- East County- Public Forum Meeting Minutes (200Kb)*
- West County- Public Forum Meeting Minutes (259Kb)*
- CCAP Summary of Public Comments (254Kb)*
Past Events and Notes:
Join our Mailing List:
Subscribe to our Mailing List firstname.lastname@example.org
Alameda County Planning Department
224 West Winton Avenue
Room 111 Hayward, CA 94544
* Portable Document Format (PDF) file requires the free Adobe Reader.